Saturday 13 June 2009

Wonderful Wildlife

I am going off for a weeks camping on the Isle of wight tomorrow so today I have been busy preparing for the trip. This includes typing out a load of instructions on how to care for all the pets while we are away. There are so many do's and don'ts like... 'don't feed cabbage to the guinea pigs as it gives them wind'... but... 'do give them plenty of freshly cut grass'... but... 'make sure there are no buttercups caught up in the freshly cut grass'. I think my son, who is pet sitting, will want to leave home when he sees all he has to do.

Caring for pets makes me appreciate just how fantastic wild animals are as they manage all on their own. I think it is amazing that a big animal like a deer or a badger can find enough food and shelter to survive even extremes of weather and birds despite having many predators still manage to raise new generations to keep their species going. Its incredible.

This is a picture of mummy woodpecker feeding her baby in the garden this morning (at least I think it is mummy and not daddy). Not a very good picture as it was on full zoom with no tripod but quite sweet.



I won't be able to do any posts while camping so the next one will be in a week or so's time:-)

No comments: