Tuesday 2 June 2009

The warm weather has really got the weeds in the field growing and they are now at least knee high which is a shame as it makes it a lot harder to see the passing wildlife. I sometimes catch site of a fox head peeping up to have a look around but that is it except for the deer which gain confidence with the taller growth and often make an appearance. This little chappy was getting a bit too confident as I caught him eyeing up my husband's newly planted vegetables.



One of the more unpleasant weeds that grows in the field is ragwort and after years of the field being uncultivated it now covers everywhere. Ragwort is a dangerous weed which is deadly to horses and can make other animals very ill by attacking the liver. There have been several questions raised as to whether it is also dangerous to humans as one scientist reported eating a very small amount which caused him to become ill with liver damage. For the last couple of years I have been on the verge of having a moan to the farmer and asking him to do something about it but this year for the first time we have got quite a few Cinnabar Moths whose larval food is ragwort so maybe I'll leave complaining for a bit until I can find out more about the risks to humans. This Cinnabar Moth was on the grass outside my son's bedroom window.



No comments: